Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is Canada's largest firm practising exclusively in intellectual property and technology law. We work with trademark owners and law firms around the world to expertly secure, protect, manage and maximize the value of brands in Canada.
With a deep tradition of leadership in trademark protection, licensing and enforcement, we are sought after by the owners of the world's most valuable brands. From publishing Canada's first text on trademarks and registering Canada's first sound-mark, to obtaining precedent-setting damages against counterfeiters, to being successful counsel in many of Canada's most important trademark decisions, we have long been recognized as Canada's leading firm in trademark matters.
Our dedication to providing the effective, practical and results-oriented services and solutions is why the world's most innovative and sophisticated businesses look to us to protect, exploit and defend their IP rights in Canada. Above all, we are committed to understanding the issues faced by our clients and efficiently providing IP services and advice of the highest quality.
We have repeatedly been recognized by our clients and peers as Canada's premier trademark firm, including:
- chosen as Canada's "IP Boutique Firm of the Year" by Managing Intellectual Property
- chosen repeatedly as a "Tier One Firm" for both Trademark Prosecution and Trademark Contentious by IP Stars
- chosen repeatedly as Canada's "IP Litigation Firm of the Year" by Benchmark Litigation
- several of our partners have repeatedly been chosen as Canada's "Trademark Litigator of the Year" by Benchmark Litigation
Our trademark services include:
- trademark and brand counselling, including portfolio management
- trademark clearance and adoption trademark validity and infringement opinions
- preparing, filing and prosecuting trademark applications in Canada and internationally
- conducting opposition and cancellation proceedings
- high-stakes trademark litigation, including infringement, counterfeiting, cybersquatting, grey-market goods, false advertising and personality rights actions
- domain name registrations and disputes
- trademark validity and infringement opinions
- licensing, merchandising and brand exploitation
To learn more, contact any of our five offices, or visit our website at www.smart-biggar.ca.
55 Metcalfe Street Suite 900
PO Box 2999 Station D
Ottawa ON K1P 5Y6 Canada
Tel: 613 232 2486
Fax: 613 232 8440
Contact: Kohji Suzuki
1100-150 York Street
Toronto ON M5H 3S5 Canada
Tel: 416 593 5514
Fax: 416 591 1690
Contact: Mark Evans
1000 De La Gauchetière Street West, Suite 3300
Montreal QC H3B 4W5 Canada
Tel: 514 954 1500
Fax: 514 954 1396
Contact: Christian Bolduc
2300-1055 West Georgia Street, PO Box 11115
Vancouver BC V6E 3P3 Canada
Tel: 604 682 7780
Fax: 604 682 0274
Contact: Christopher Robinson
301-237 8th Avenue SE
Calgary AB T2G 5C3
Tel: 587 887 9997 Fax: 587 887 9998
Contact: Alistair Simpson
Captain Morgan forces Admiral Nelson’s to jump ship proving trade dress protection is alive and well in CanadaEkaterina Tsimberis, part of Smart & Biggar’s trial team, successfully represented Diageo Canada in protecting and enforcing its CAPTAIN MORGAN trade dress before the Federal Court
This summer, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) released a practice notice on medical diagnostic method patents. This has been in the works for many years. A draft version was released for public consultation in 2012 and CIPO had indicated in 2013 that the practice notice was...
In a decision dated October 30 2014, the Federal Court of Appeal provided some clarification on the utility requirements for patentability in Canada, and in particular the nature and application of the "promise" of utility. This doctrine has recently been extensively relied on by generic companies...