Brian Smarsh is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group at White & Case, based in the New York office.
Brian represents clients from an array of industries in complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, tender offers, auctions, stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions and restructurings.
His significant track record and deep understanding of his field has attracted a broad client base, including acquirers, targets, boards of directors, special committees, investment banks and investors, both within the US and overseas.
Adept at steering clients through the legal intricacies of complex multijurisdictional transactions, Brian's significant experience spans a variety of negotiated and unsolicited public and private deals, across a wide array of industries.
His familiarity with the markets in which his clients operate – from entertainment to healthcare, finance to energy and utilities – gives Brian insight into the transactional issues particular to their industries, and helps him to execute deals quickly and effectively.
Brian's wide sector knowledge is matched by the international character of his practice experience. Having worked on a number of large-scale, cross-border projects, he is able to provide creative solutions to clients' business needs in territories across the globe.
Brian received his BS and MBA from Georgetown University, and his JD from the Georgetown University Law Center.
Recent matters include the representation of:
- CVC Capital Partners in its US$1.425 billion acquisition of beauty and personal care products company PDC Brands from Yellow Wood Partners.
- CVC Capital Partners Asia Fund IV in its acquisition of OANDA Global Corporation, a global online retail trading platform, currency data and analytics company.
- CVC Capital Partners in leading a consortium including Temasek Holdings and Vatera Healthcare Partners in their acquisition of a controlling stake in Alvogen, a leading generic pharmaceuticals company. The transaction was named "Cross-Border Life Sciences and Pharmaceutical M&A Deal of the Year" by the M&A Advisor, 2016.
- FCX Performance, Inc., a portfolio company of Harvest Partners, in its approximately US$768 million sale to Applied Industrial Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: AIT).
- GDF Suez S.A. in its US$840 million sale of power assets in Panama and Costa Rica to Celsia S.A. E.S.P. This transaction was named "Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year" by M&A Advisor, 2015.
- Electronic Funds Source LLC in its sale to an affiliate of Warburg Pincus by its existing equity holders, an investor group consisting of an affiliate of CVC Capital Partners and Pilot Travel Centers, First Data Transportation, Inc. and FJ Management Inc.