Matthew Kautz is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group at White & Case, based in the New York Office.
Matt represents buyers and sellers in domestic and international public and private mergers and acquisitions (including joint ventures and equity co-investments). His practice is particularly focused on representing private equity firms with respect to their acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies.
For M&A and private equity transactions structured as competitive auctions, Matt regularly acts as counsel for bidders and sellers. As counsel for the bidders, he assists in the submission of bid documents, advising on (and where possible) minimizing risk elements and emphasizing our client's strategic, financial or other strengths to highlight them as a preferred bidder. In advising sellers, he advises clients on all aspects of the process, including in the structuring of such auctions, the preparation of all bid documents and the evaluation of bids.
Matt received his JD from University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1998 and his BA from Yale University in 1995.
Recent matters include the representation of:
- Dominus Capital in its sale of On Campus Marketing, the largest provider of affinity programs for universities and colleges across the US; and in its investment in League Collegiate Outfitters, LLC, a college apparel company.
- Quad-C Management, Inc. in numerous acquisitions, including its investment in Engineered Fastener Company; Joerns Healthcare LLC; McKissock LP; Network Hardware Resale; Rainbow Early Education New Holding LLC; The Wolf Holdings Organization, Inc.; VACO; and VMG Health.
- Quad-C Management, Inc. in various dispositions, including the sale of Balboa Water Group; Curvature; Durcon; Generation Brands; and NuSil Technology.
- InterWrap Holdings Inc., a portfolio company of Quad-C Management, Inc. and a leading manufacturer of roofing underlayment and packaging materials, in the US$450 million sale to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Owens Corning.
- Cloverhill Holdings, indirect parent of Cloverhill Bakery, in its US$700 million sale to Switzerland-based food group Aryzta AG.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in its entrance into a strategic joint venture with Hess Corporation through the US$2.675 billion acquisition of a 50 percent interest in the owner of Hess's midstream crude oil and natural gas infrastructure assets located primarily in the Bakken Shale.
- BlackRock and First Reserve in acquiring 45 percent interest in two natural gas pipelines in Mexico from PMI, a unit of state-owned oil and gas company Petróleos Mexicanos (PEMEX).
- IDG Capital Partners in its auction bid to acquire Juicy Couture from Kate Spade & Company (formerly known as Fifth and Pacific Companies, Inc.).