Claudine Columbres is a partner in the Firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice, who has extensive experience handling high-stakes matters, often involving multi-billion dollar claims, concerning complex contracts, merger and shareholder disputes, business torts, securities, class actions, and alternative dispute resolution. Claudine’s work has spanned a broad range of industries including healthcare, financial services, foodservice distribution, energy, and oil & gas. She has worked with clients including Anthem, Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., Hess Corporation, the Votorantim Group and Major League Baseball.
Dedicated to helping her clients achieve the best possible outcomes, Claudine has also successfully represented defendants in numerous pro bono cases involving family and matrimonial law.
Claudine received her BA from Georgetown University and her JD from Columbia University School of Law.
Recent representations include:
- Representation of Anthem, Inc., in a high-profile action resulting from the failed US$54 billion acquisition of Cigna Corporation. The case involved competing claims for tens of billions of dollars, and was closely followed by major media outlets as one of the most watched business cases.
- Representation of Anthem, Inc., in a US$12 billion dollar lawsuit against one of the largest pharmacy benefits managers in the US, Express Scripts, Inc. (ESI), arising from ESI’s breach of its contractual duties to negotiate in good faith to ensure that Anthem receives market pricing for pharmaceutical drugs and for certain operational breaches.
- Representation of Advance Auto Parts, Inc., a national auto parts retailer, in a securities class action in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented JPMorgan Chase & Co. in a lawsuit alleging contract, restitution and reformation claims challenging amounts allegedly owed by JPMorgan Chase under a chapter 11 plan of reorganization. The case raised complex tax issues and involved multiple discovery disputes before it was successfully resolved via settlement.
- Represented Fibria Celulose, a Brazilian pulp and paper company, in a federal securities class action alleging violations arising from foreign exchange derivative pricing practices.
- Represented the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, doing business as Major League Baseball, in the unique bankruptcy of the Los Angeles Dodgers and in connection with the sale of the team.
- Defended Hess Corporation against numerous putative shareholder class action lawsuits filed in state and federal courts in Nevada and Colorado, challenging Hess’ acquisition of American Oil & Gas. We consolidated the cases in the District of Colorado and then negotiated a disclosures-only settlement that resolved all the cases, and Hess’ acquisition of American Oil & Gas closed without any changes to the merger’s terms or price.