Ray is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group at White & Case, based in Chicago. Ray focuses his practice on complex business transactions, particularly leveraged buyouts for private equity funds and domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. He has represented some of the largest names in private equity in transactions ranging in size from several million dollars to more than US$5 billion.
Ray also represents public companies, private companies and venture capital firms in negotiating and structuring acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, equity and debt financings, recapitalizations and restructurings, and executive compensation and incentive equity matters, as well as advising on general corporate governance and compliance.
Ray received his BA and MA from Northwestern University and his JD from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif.
Representative matters prior to joining White & Case include the representation of:
- Vista Equity Partners in numerous transactions, including the following:
- its merger of its portfolio companies, PowerSchool and PeopleAdmin (each providers of educational software), concurrent with an investment from Onex Corp;
- its acquisition of Regulatory DataCorp, Inc. (RDC), a leader across the governance, risk, and compliance industry, from Bain Capital Ventures and others;
- the acquisition of Malauzai, a provider of mobile and Internet banking solutions for community financial institutions, by Finastra, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners; and
- the acquisition of Public Safety Corp., a technology and technology-enabled services company focused on state and local government public safety projects and programs, by Superion LLC, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners.
- Clearlake Capital in its joint venture with Vista Equity Partners in EagleView Technologies, a leading provider of aerial imagery and property data analytics.
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners in its acquisition of Allied Aerofoam Products, a fabricator of niche foam products across an array of end markets and applications (e.g. pet beds, packaging and specialty children's furniture).
- Madison Dearborn Partners in its divestiture of BWAY Corporation, one of the largest makers of rigid metal and plastic containers in North America.
- Falconhead Capital in the sale of substantially all of the assets of Rita's Holdings, LLC, a leading Italian ice and frozen treat franchisor, to an affiliate of Argosy Capital.
- Jump Capital in the sale of ProPharma Group to Linden Capital Partners.