Matthew M Guest, a partner at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, is a corporate and securities lawyer who primarily focuses on advising public companies on acquisitions and dispositions, securities law matters, takeover defense and general corporate governance matters. A substantial portion of his practice involves representing banks and other financial services companies on mergers and related matters.
Recent transactions include:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its pending acquisition of QIAGEN N.V., its prior acquisitions of Patheon N.V., FEI Company, Affymetrix, Life Technologies, Dionex Corporation and the merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific
- South State Corporation in its pending merger-of-equals with CenterState Bank Corporation, its 2017 acquisition of Park Sterling and numerous prior acquisitions
- The Strategic Development Committee of the Board of TD Ameritrade in TD Ameritrade's pending merger with The Charles Schwab Corporation, as well as TD Ameritrade in its 2017 acquisition of Scottrade and numerous other transactions
- BB&T in its $66 billion merger-of-equals with SunTrust, and numerous other acquisitions, including the acquisitions of Susquehanna Bancshares and Bank of Kentucky
- Capital One in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of BlueTarp Financial, its acquisition of the Walmart card portfolio and entry into a credit card program with Walmart, the 2018 sale of its mortgage business, the 2018 sale of its online brokerage business to E*TRADE, and the 2017 acquisition of Cabela's credit card business
- CapStar Financial Holdings in its pending acquisitions of FCB Corporation and the Bank of Waynesboro, and in its 2018 acquisition of Athens Bancshares
- Professional Holding Corp. in its acquisition of Marquis Bancorp
- S&T Bancorp in its acquisition of DNB Financial
- Financial Engines in its sale to Hellman & Friedman
- Banner in its acquisition of Skagit Bancorp
- Sterling Bancorp in numerous transactions
- Chemours in numerous transactions
In 2018, Matt Guest was named Dealmaker of the Year by American Lawyer. Mr Guest graduated from Yale Law School. While at Yale, he was notes editor of Volume 109 of the Yale Law Journal. Prior to attending law school, he received his AB in Economics and International Studies from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he graduated with highest distinction and honors and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.