Gustav Flecke-Giammarco is a partner at Seven Summits Arbitration (7SA), a Munich-based disputes specialist firm dedicated to arbitration.
Before co-founding 7SA, Gustav practiced with the litigation and arbitration group of Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek in Düsseldorf (2015-2017) and headed the case management team responsible for arbitrations seated in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Benelux, and the Nordic countries at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris. During his tenure as Counsel (2011-2015) and Deputy Counsel (2009-2011) at the ICC Secretariat, Gustav supervised over 850 proceedings, including investment treaty and emergency arbitrator cases, and was involved in the ICC Court's scrutiny of some 450 awards.
Gustav regularly acts as counsel and arbitrator in multifaceted domestic and international arbitrations, involving a wide array of subject matters and several applicable laws. His institutional track record includes cases under the ICC, DIS, VIAC, SCC, FAI and SCAI Rules. He also has experience with ad hoc arbitrations (domestic and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules), and has served as chairman, co-arbitrator and sole arbitrator. Gustav's main areas of expertise include construction and engineering, post-M&A, international sales, distribution, energy (including oil & gas) and infrastructure projects.
Gustav is a member of the committee that drafted the 2018 DIS Arbitration Rules and of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. He guest lectures at the University of Bonn, University of Roma Tre, Swiss Arbitration Academy and Swiss International Law School, and is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of International Arbitration. In addition, he frequently speaks at international arbitration conferences and has widely published on dispute resolution and private international law topics.
Gustav, deemed a "future leader" in his field, is fluent in German, English, French and Italian. He also acts as business mediator (MuCDR).
- Represented a German company in a SCC arbitration with Russian companies concerning the sale of dual-use goods falling under the EU trade sanctions regime
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a South Korean and a German company concerning a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement affected by corruption
- Presiding arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between an Italian and a Romanian company concerning a FIDIC construction contract
- Co-arbitrator in a post-M&A DIS arbitration between German companies arising out of a share transfer agreement
- Sole arbitrator in a VIAC arbitration between an Austrian and a Polish company concerning a reseller agreement in the manufacturing industry
- Co-arbitrator in a multi-party ad hoc arbitration between German companies concerning shareholder disputes in the insurance sector
- Co-arbitrator in ad hoc arbitration between a Russian and a German company in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement
- Sole arbitrator in consolidated FAI arbitration between Finnish and Swedish companies concerning telecommunication services