Gustav Flecke-Giammarco is a partner at Seven Summits Arbitration (7SA), a Munich-based disputes specialist firm dedicated to arbitration.
Gustav regularly acts as counsel and arbitrator in multifaceted domestic and international arbitrations, involving a wide array of subject matters and applicable laws. He has extensive experience with institutional arbitrations (including ICC, DIS, VIAC, SCC, FAI and SCAI) and ad hoc arbitrations (domestic and UNCITRAL Rules), and has served as chairman, co-arbitrator and sole arbitrator. Gustav's main areas of expertise include construction and engineering, post-M&A, international sales, distribution, energy (including oil & gas) and infrastructure projects.
Before co-founding 7SA, Gustav practiced with Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek in Düsseldorf and headed the case management team responsible for arbitrations seated in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Benelux, and the Nordic countries at the International Court of Arbitration in Paris. At the ICC Secretariat, he supervised over 850 proceedings, including investment treaty and emergency arbitrator cases, and was involved in the scrutiny of some 450 awards.
Gustav is a member of the 2018 DIS Rules drafting committee and the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of International Arbitration and has published widely on ADR and private international law topics.
Gustav is fluent in German, English, French and Italian. He also acts as business mediator (MuCDR).
- Counsel to a German company in ICC arbitration with French companies arising from a licensing agreement in the defence sector
- Counsel to a U.S. company in ICC arbitration with Swiss company involving a shipping contract in the commodities sector
- Counsel to a German company in SCAI mediation with Swiss company arising from a licensing agreement in the pharmaceutical sector
- Presiding arbitrator in ICC arbitration between Italian and Romanian parties concerning a FIDIC construction contract for the development and modernization of an airport
- Sole arbitrator in ICC arbitration between German parties relating to the construction of metal sculptures
- Sole arbitrator in ICC arbitration between UK and German parties concerning satellite communication services
- Co-arbitrator in post-M&A DIS arbitration between Dutch and German parties relating to breaches of warranties and indemnification claims
- Co-arbitrator in post-M&A DIS arbitration between German parties arising out of a share transfer agreement in the information technology sector
- Co-arbitrator in ad hoc arbitration between German parties concerning shareholder disputes in the insurance sector
- Co-arbitrator in ad hoc arbitration between Russian and German parties arising from a distribution agreement in the telecommunications sector