Gebhard Bücheler is a partner at Seven Summits Arbitration (7SA), a Munich-based disputes specialist firm dedicated to arbitration. Qualified to practice law in New York and Germany, Gebhard serves as counsel and as arbitrator. He has acted in many investment and commercial disputes in a broad range of industries, including energy and natural resources, healthcare and pharmaceutical, media and advertising, manufacturing, private equity, and financial services.
Gebhard has taught international law at LMU Munich and regularly guest lectures on international arbitration at the University of St. Gallen. In 2015, Oxford University Press published his monograph Proportionality in Investor-State Arbitration. Gebhard holds law degrees from Columbia University and LMU Munich, including a PhD in international investment law supervised by Judge Bruno Simma. Gebhard worked in the Paris office of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer from 2010 to 2013 before returning to Munich.
- Represent a German aerospace-component manufacturer in an ICC arbitration against a French company arising from a licensing agreement in the defence sector
- Act for a German company in a SCAI mediation with a Swiss company arising from a licensing agreement in the pharmaceutical sector
- Represented a leading global trader based in the United States in an ICC arbitration with a Swiss trading company regarding a dispute arising from a shipping contract
- Sole Arbitrator in a DIS Arbitration regarding a joint venture dispute in the manufacturing sector
- Presiding Arbitrator in a DIS arbitration concerning a shareholder dispute in the manufacturing sector
- Tribunal assistant in several UNCITRAL investment arbitrations administered by the PCA involving multilateral and bilateral investment treaties (including the OIC Treaty) with amounts in dispute of up to €1.5 billion
- Represented a US private equity firm in a DIS post-M&A arbitration against the seller of a clinical research company
- Acted for a B2B marketing and communications agency in an ICC arbitration against a leading machine tools manufacturer arising from the termination of a long-term contractual relationship
- Represented a leading German energy company in electricity-pricing disputes based on long-term supply agreements with electricity distribution companies
- Acted for several investors in a dispute relating to the withdrawal of regulatory support for solar energy projects by a European state under the Energy Charter Treaty and bilateral investment treaties
- Advised the foreign majority shareholder of an aluminum smelter and a hydroelectric power plant on contract and investment treaty claims regarding a mandatory share transfer to a Southeast Asian state
- Advised a European energy company on investment treaty claims against an Eastern European state concerning regulatory measures in the electricity supply and distribution sector
- Represented a major European gas importer in parallel ad hoc gas-pricing arbitrations with an aggregate amount in dispute of several billion euro