Dr. Olivier Favre is a partner in Schellenberg Wittmer's banking and finance group in Zürich. Olivier focuses on derivatives, structured finance and capital markets transactions, and advises clients on financial services, securities, commodities, fund and insurance regulation. He also advises clients on fintech solutions and their legal implementation. He acts for a broad range of clients, including financial institutions, buy-side firms, issuers, insurance companies and industry associations. Olivier is an authorised representative at the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Some recent examples of Olivier's expertise include:
Banking & Finance:
- Advising a major Swiss bank on a portfolio transfer of a derivatives, securities lending and repo-trading activity;
- Appointment by an industry association to prepare a template documentation of resolution stay clauses that must be agreed in agreements falling into the scope of FINMA stay powers;
- Appointed to advise on the Swiss law matters regarding the implementation of a pledge structure to be used in connection with industry-standard securities lending documentation;
- Advising on the issuance of a utility token to be used on a platform connecting self-driving vehicles.
Insurance & Reinsurance:
- Advice on regulatory requirements for cross-border insurance business from outside Switzerland to the Swiss market (e.g., access to Switzerland of foreign life insurance companies, including regulatory requirements and design of life insurance and capitalisation product);
- Preparation of group insurance products sold to the Swiss market;
- Set-up of a Swiss direct insurance company and of Swiss branch of foreign direct insurance company and obtaining FINMA licences;
- Advising a Swiss reinsurance company on its regulatory obligations as a result of trading securities on Swiss trading venues.
Olivier is recognised by leading directories and publications for his expertise in banking and finance and insurance and reinsurance. Chambers and Partners says: "Olivier Favre is a leading Swiss lawyer in the OTC derivatives market". Who's Who Legal additionally comments that Olivier "is a highly regarded expert in structured finance transactions and impresses peers with his technical regulatory knowledge." For his work in insurance matters they say he "enjoys an exceptional reputation in the Swiss market and is highly regarded for his strong expertise in insurance regulation."
Olivier obtained a doctorate degree in law from the University of Zürich in 2003 (iur, 2003) and a master's degree in law from Harvard Law School (LLM, 2004). For his doctorate thesis, he received the Issekutz Award for outstanding achievements in business law from the University of Zürich.
Prior to joining Schellenberg Wittmer as an associate in 2009, Olivier practised as a lawyer in London, specialising in OTC derivatives and structured finance transactions, fund products and capital markets transactions. From 2004 to 2007, he was an associate in Allen & Overy LLP's London-based derivatives practice group. From 2007 to 2009, Olivier was legal counsel in the derivatives and structured finance group at Goldman Sachs International in London.