Israel Aye has extensive commercial and legal knowledge of the oil and gas business in Nigeria. He is Partner at and Co-chair of the Sterling Partnership Energy Desk, Director of the Sterling ADR Centre and Faculty Member of Sterling Executive (MCLE) Training Institute. In addition to his roles at Sterling Partnership, Israel is also a Director with the Aspen Energy Nigeria (Energy Services and Consulting) Group and faculty member of the International Law Institute-African Centre of Excellence (ILI-ACE).
Awards and Recognitions
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Financial and Corporate 2017 and 2016
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Energy and Infrastructure 2015
- Who is Who Legal – Leading expert in energy and natural resources, 2012 to 2015
- Chambers and Partners Legal Award – Leading Lawyer, Oil and Gas 2015
- Corporate LiveWire's 2016 Innovation & Excellence Awards – Excellence in Energy & Natural Resources Law – Nigeria
Areas of Practice Specialisation
- Energy and Natural Resources
- Real Estate and Infrastructure
- International Commercial Law
Some Previous Transactions
- Currently part of the technical work group constituted to advice the Minister of Petroleum Resources on the ongoing review of the Petroleum Industry Bill to meet contemporary needs of the petroleum sector
- Advised an indigenous upstream petroleum company in its bid for the acquisition of petroleum assets through acquisition of the licence holder.
- Acted as Nigerian counsel in the second phase of a Pre-Export Financing arrangement by the National Oil Company
- Advised and provided full spectrum of legal support (including negotiation and review of the GSA, PPA and other transaction documents) to a Foreign JV for investment in and construction of a power plant within a Free Trade Zone in Nigeria.
- Advised NDPHCN on initial stages of negotiations and review of GSAA and other definitive agreements in respect of the establishment of an IPP.
- Lead Negotiator (specifically Energy Partner) between SEPLAT and PHCN Geregu, and SEPLAT and PHCN Sapele in respect of two IPPs.
- Advised a leading natural gas company on securing NERC license to construct captive power generation facilities at their site.
- Advised an indigenous power company in its bid for acquisition of an Electricity Generating Company then being privatized by the NDPCH/BPE on the licensing and technical requirements for establishing an independent power generation plant in Nigeria. Other broad spectrum legal support
- Team Lead & Coordinator of Shell's legal input to the Nigerian Gas Master Plan (NGMP)