Mr Shardul Thacker heads the firm's Insurance, Ship Finance and Maritime & Offshore Practice groups. He has an extensive insurance and reinsurance practice, acting predominantly for insurers and reinsurers.
In the Indian Insurance industry, he acts for GIC Re, Oriental Insurance, New India Insurance, United India Insurance and National Insurance. Amongst overseas underwriters he has acted for Tokio Marine, CGU and Aviva in relation to their claims/ matters under diverse insurance policies – Marine, LOP, Construction, Terrorism, Material damage, Erection, War risks, Cargo Hull & Machinery policies, etc.
He regularly acts for Lloyd's syndicates/ names including Amlin, Chauser Syndicate 1084, Brit Syndicate, Novae, Canopius, Pembroke, Lancashire, Glacier, Hiscox, etc. He works extensively with several London City firms namely, Norton Rose, Clyde, Ince etc., and receiving instructions to represent their insurance / reinsurance clients in relation to their reinsurance business in the India market. He also has an extensive offshore and energy law practice, advising on issues of risks relating to damage caused to Oil & Gas Reservoir, costs relating to pollution cleanup, insurability of these risks, etc.
Lloyd's List on 12th December, 2014 ranked him 3rd in the "Top 10 Lawyers" stating "HIGHLY regarded for his work in the liquefied natural gas sector, particularly for interesting and highly geared finance deals in relation to infrastructure projects, energy, ports and ships."
As he regularly advises various stakeholders in the upstream/ downstream oil and gas projects, shipping industry, his in-depth knowledge in insurance practice assists him in seamlessly working across these sectors in offering solution-based and well-rounded advice. He has acted for insurance companies in their joint ventures in India – Cardiff S.A. (a group company of BNP Paribas) in their joint venture (SBI Life) with the State Bank of India. He has assisted his firm's team in the deal of the Birla Group in their joint venture with Sun Life Assurance Company Canada for the life insurance business and Sun Life's Investment in the Birla Group.
He is -
- Ranked in Chambers for Insurance, Shipping and Banking practices
- India correspondent for 'Lloyd's Maritime & Commercial Law Quarterly'
- Vice President, Indian Maritime Law Association, affiliated to CMI
- features annually in the International Who's Who – Banking Lawyers
Written India Sections in –
- Survey Questions for Chambers, Insurance & Reinsurance Global Practice Guide 2017;
- Clyde's Time Bar in Reinsurance & "An International Comparison";
- Maritime Law Handbook, Kluwer;
- Limitation of Liability by Griggs and Williams;
- Cross-Border Security, Norton Rose & Butterworths;
- Shipping Law 2017 – International Comparative Legal Guide, GLG Publication.