Paul Ng is a partner in the Singapore office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP and heads the Asian Transportation and Space Practice.
Prior to joining Milbank, Paul was the global head of aviation for an international law firm and was at a magic circle firm for over a decade.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr Ng has helmed some of the most complex and first-in-the industry asset backed structured and receivables financings. He has thorough knowledge of the financing and leasing of aviation and maritime assets, satelite, rolling stock and other moveable assets. He is also experienced in tax based finance, leveraged finance, Islamic finance and export credit. He has acted for major lenders, operating and finance lessors, borrowers, lessees and arrangers in a wide range of banking, finance and leasing transactions for over 20 years.
His experience includes advising:
- AirAsia on the US$2.85 billion (enterprise value) sale of their leasing business to certain businesses managed by the world's largest manager of aircraft Babcock and Brown. The transaction is the largest ever sale of aircraft assets based in Asia.
- PT Lion Mentari on its $24 billion acquisition of over 230 Airbus aircraft, one of the largest commercial aircraft orders of all time.
- Advisers to Vietjet, one of Asia's fastest growing airlines, on its Initial Public Offering, which was the largest securities offering ever on the Vietnam stock exchange and also the first ever listed securities ever to be marketed outside Vietnam.
- China's Bank of Communications Financial Leasing on one of the first ever issuance of hybrid asset backed securities from China involving nine commercial aircraft operated by airlines across three continents.
- Lenders on the financing of eight A320 Airbus aircraft to be operated by China Southern Airlines. This was the first Japanese operating lease financing to be successfully completed in China.
Paul is consistently recognized as a Band 1 lawyer for Aviation Finance in Chambers and a leading lawyer in the Transport sector by virtually all the leading periodicals active in this space.
He is a pre-eminent practitioner in the low cost sector and has been described by competitors as "King of low cost carriers" and by clients as "Simply fantastic…" (Chambers Asia Pacific) and "like a custodian to his clients…" (Chambers Global). Paul is also named as a leading Islamic finance adviser in relation to transportation matters by Islamic Finance News. He currently sits as a member of the prestigious legal panel of the Aviation Working Group.
Paul speaks several Chinese dialects including Mandarin, Teochew and Cantonese.