Andrew is an insurance law specialist. Over 20 years he has earned a reputation as a trusted adviser to the insurance industry. He acts for major Australian and international insurers and intermediaries on a range of issues including policy drafting, coverage disputes, regulatory disputes, claims and strategic advice.
He is an experienced litigator of financial and professional lines claims with particular expertise in management liability and professional claims against financial (accountants, financial planners, stockbrokers), insurance (insurance brokers and agents), property (real estate and valuation) and construction professionals. He has acted for a range of major Australian professional services firms including Steadfast, Austbrokers, AON, JLT, AMP Financial Planning, AFG, Grant Samuel, Savills, LandMark White, Cushman & Wakefield, First National, PwC, CountPlus and Pitcher Partners.
Andrew is widely recognised for his experience in providing coverage advice for large and complex claims including acting for an excess layer insurer of Lehman Brothers Australia in relation to the Wingecarribee Shire Council class action and for insurers in respect of large construction disputes including claims relating to the failure of major mining infrastructure. Andrew has provided strategic coverage and claims management advice to IAG, Suncorp and the Steadfast Group in relation to major flood and storm events.
He regularly advises clients in relation to Government enquiries, regulatory action, professional disciplinary proceedings and external dispute resolution bodies including:
- Acting for the Insurance Council of Australia and NRMA in relation to the Queensland Flood Commission of Inquiry.
- Acting for a major financial planning dealer group in relation to ASIC breach reporting in connection with the Great Southern collapse.
- Acting for AMP Financial Planning and Steadfast in relation Financial Ombudsman Service disputes.
- Acting for an accountant in relation to a claim emanating from an Independent Commission Against Corruption enquiry concerning payments made by Sydney Water to Australian Water Holdings (known as 'Operation Credo').
- Acting for Allphones in relation to two separate representative proceedings (class actions) brought by franchisees and the ACCC.
Andrew is the Chair of the Law Council of Australia's National Insurance Law Group. He is a Fellow of Australian Property Institute and a member of the Australian Property Standards Committee. He is listed as a leading Australian Insurance Lawyer in a number of Australian and International directories and was awarded Australian Insurance Lawyer of the Year 2015 by a leading UK publication. He has co-written and co-presented the the Australian Insurance Law Association's signature 'General Insurance Law – Year in Review' seminar for over 10 years.
Andrew works together with fellow insurance Principals Stuart Windybank, Leighton Hawkes and Michael Cooper to provide McCabes' insurance clients with strategic legal solutions built on personal service, specialist expertise and collaboration.