Sharon Daly is Head of Matheson’s London Office and is a partner in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department.
Sharon is widely acknowledged as one of the leading corporate litigators in Ireland with over 25 years’ experience in all aspects of commercial litigation and dispute resolution. Continuously recognised for her ability to respond creatively to complex issues, Sharon was recently awarded ‘Lawyer of the Year’ at the Benchmark Litigation 2019 Europe Awards.
Sharon has been involved in some of the most significant commercial litigation to come before the Irish courts in the last 10 years, including defending a major financial institution in a series of multi-billion, multi-jurisdictional disputes arising from investments in Bernard L. Madoff’s business. Sharon also acted for insurers in the largest property damage dispute to come before the Irish courts in relation to the liability of hydro-electrical dams and flood damage arising therefrom.
Sharon and her team advise a wide range of clients on highly technical insurance issues including policy wordings, coverage and policy disputes, resulting in significant cost and time savings to our client and minimising reputational risk.
Sharon is Co-Chair of the Insurance Committee for the International Bar Association and has actively sought to use this committee to bring together leaders in the insurance industry to address the challenges in the industry globally.
As Head of Matheson’s Brexit Advisory Group, Sharon leads a multi-disciplinary team who advise and assist clients on the implementation of their Brexit plans.
- Acted for a financial institution in a multi-billion (2.9bn) euro fraud claim achieving a dismissal of same on an interlocutory motion on public policy grounds.
- Defending a financial institution in a fund custody negligence claim seeking recovery of $500m achieving a strike out on a preliminary issue.
- Representing a major broker in the EU investigations into the commercial motor industry in Ireland.
- Acting for insurers in a significant coverage dispute on a financial lines run-off policy.
- Acting in a high-profile multimillion euro professional negligence claim action against a major firm of solicitors in relation to the administration of a very large and complicated estate (confidential).
- Acting for AIB in a very significant coverage dispute under the civil liability section of a Bankers Blanket Bond policy following an employee fraud.