Rory is a partner and Head of our Construction Department. He also leads our Energy and Projects practice with Will Carmody. Rory has extensive experience in contentious and non-contentious Energy and Construction issues. He advises and represents utilities, funders, developers, contractors, insurers and professional consultants. He has particular expertise in real estate development, renewable energy and gas.
Rory regularly advises on major projects, including the largest wind farms constructed in Ireland, the largest waste-to-energy facility and the largest real estate development project in Ireland. On contentious matters, Rory advises clients through ADR, arbitration and Court processes. Rory frequently acts as advocate on behalf of clients in ADR and arbitration.
Rory is qualified to advise on both Irish and English law and has extensive experience of the FIDIC, NEC3, JCT and local forms of contract.
Energy and Utilities / Projects / Real Estate Development / Construction and Engineering / Procurement / Dispute resolution / Shipping
- Development, procurement and project financing (together with banking colleagues) of 105MW wind farm on behalf of international energy utility – the largest yet to be built in Ireland.
- Advising international wind farm developer on consenting phase of 520MW offshore project.
- Advising international tech contractor on works contract for multi-billion dollar chip manufacturing plant.
- Advising US developer on procurement of works on 400 acre development site in South Dublin.
- Acquisition of generating assets including 450MW CCGT plant and related regulatory issues for international utility.
- Advised Swiss EPC plant contractor in negotiating terms for the 500,000 ton per annum / 60 MW Dublin Waste to Energy PPP.
- Advising Irish energy utility in relation to Connecting Europe Facility funding for European Projects of Common Interest under both the Trans-European Energy Network (TEN-E) and Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T).
- Successfully represented international wind farm developer on recovery of substantial damages, including loss of profit, in respect of turbine foundation failure.
- Advising Lisheen Mine, one of the largest in Europe, in relation to decommissioning issues.