Dr Malathi Lakshmikumaran has more than 30 years of experience in the field of biochemistry and Molecular Biology with an expertise in plant genomics, DNA fingerprinting and genetic transformation. She has successfully supervised several Ph.D. students in the area of Plant Molecular Biology. She has more than 100 publications to her credit in various International and Indian journals.
Prior to joining the firm, she served as the Head, Centre for Bioresource & Biotechnology Division in The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI) for a period of 17 years. At present, she serves as an Executive Director and heads the IP division of the firm. She is a registered patent agent and has been actively engaged in preparing, filing and prosecuting of patent applications, both in India and abroad. She mainly works on pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnological patent applications. She advises clients on plant variety protection and registration. She is actively involved in the area of Biodiversity and Traditional knowledge.
Dr Malathi also undertakes extensive work for Start-ups and Incubates, especially with incubates in C-CAMP and IIT Delhi, advising them on Patents and Freedom to operate opinions.
- PhD in Biochemistry
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences ( FNASc)
- Registered as a Patent Agent in India
- Recognized as Top Women Entrepreneur
- Recipient of National Science talent scholarship
- Recipient of the prestigious Fogarty Visiting Research Associate ship from National Institute of Health, Bethesda, USA
- Recipient of the National Young Women Scientist Award by Department of Biotechnology in March 2000
- Ranked in Chambers-Asia Pacific 2017
- Listed as Patent Leaders in WIPR 2017 for Patents
- Recognized as Individual Expert in Patent Prosecution in IAM PATENT 1000 for the years 2016 and 2017
- Member of AIPPI (Pharma Committee)
- Member of FICPI
List of Lectures Delivered in 2016-2017:
- "Patente 2016" in March, 2016 at Munich, Germany
- "Recent Developments in IPR" at IIT Delhi in April 2016
- C-CAMP for Biotech Start-ups in Bangalore in April 2016.
- Delivered a Lecture & Anchored the Session on IP and Licensing Big Conclave 2016 at C-CAMP Bangalore in June 2016
- Delivered a Lecture on 28 September, 2016 on the theme of "Developments in the Protection of Plant Varieties" at Jindal Global University, Sonipat
- Delivered talks at GIPC 2017 (New Delhi) , WIPF 2017 (Bangalore), FITT, ( IIT Delhi) on 19 April 2017, IBAB( Bangalore) on 25 April 2017
- Delivered a talk on "IP Strategies for BioTech Startups" on 2 June 2017 at IIT Delhi