Balbir advises on structured asset and project finance transactions. Clients include financial institutions, lessors, lessees, operators, arrangers, heavy engineering industrial groups, PE funds and asset traders.
Transportation, energy and natural resources are the principal industry sectors in which Balbir specialises involving financing relating to aircraft, ships, offshore drilling and moveable equipment. He advises clients on related securitisation, repackagings and fund structuring for diverse products with experience in relation to synthetics, bond repackagings, asset-backed securities programmes and leveraged leases.
Balbir has been named as a leading individual in both Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific for Structured Finance and Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Structured Finance Lawyers. His team were awarded the Structured Finance & Securitisation firm award 2016 by China Business Law Journal.
- Represented The Export-Import Bank of China (CEXIM) with respect to a USD450M financing for Minsheng Financial Leasing (MSFL) as lessor of two A380-800 aircraft on finance lease to Korea's Asiana Airlines.
- Advised global bank's principal finance team in relation to structured note issue, including structuring, financing, sale and contract of affreightment arrangements relating to three Valemax VLOC's from Brazilian multinational with notes secured by cross-collateralised and cross-defaulted vessel mortgages with assignment of earnings and insurances under the contract of affreightment. The transaction involved the use of a combination of securitisation cashflow techniques, conventional bond standards and asset-based finance collaterisation.
- Advised leading Japanese bank on facilities consisting of financing and security documentation related to a finance lease and Japanese operating lease transactions relating to Boeing 777-300 and Airbus A330-300 aircraft, the lessee of which is a major Hong Kong based global carrier.
- Advised international Lessor on aircraft financing, backed by an ECA guaranteed operating lease facility for an Asian carrier in connection with the delivery of a fleet of A330-300 aircraft.
- Advised Arrangers on USD600m future flow securitisation in Indonesia of coal export receivables structured as an export note backed by receivables (both existing and future) generated from the businesses of leading coal producers.
- Represented heavy engineering group and private equity fund relating to investment in cross-border transportation companies and assets and establishment of captive funds.