Diana Maitland, Deloitte New Zealand, is a partner in the Wellington tax practice and leads the Deloitte National Transfer Pricing Group. She has over 25 years of tax experience.
Having chosen to specialise in transfer pricing at the inception of the New Zealand transfer pricing regime in 1996, over 20 of those years have been dedicated solely to transfer pricing. Prior to 1996, Diana worked in general income tax in New Zealand and for two years with the international tax group in Deloitte's London office.
Diana has had experience in all facets of transfer pricing in New Zealand, including:
- Restructuring operations to minimise local income taxes
- Completing New Zealand-specific and global documentation and planning studies
- Analysis and review of pricing transactions and planning
- Successfully defending clients' transfer pricing documentation and tax positions as part of both Inland Revenue general tax and transfer pricing- specific reviews and audits
- Negotiating clients' transfer pricing policies with the IR on both informal and formal bases, including the negotiation of numerous advance pricing agreements (both bilateral and unilateral).
Diana has received numerous awards, including among others:
- Leading Transfer Pricing Practitioner in the 2015 edition of Women in Business Law
- Leading transfer pricing advisor in TP Week's World Transfer Pricing 2015
- Euromoney/Legal Media Group's 2013 and 2014 Australasia Women in Business Law Award in the transfer pricing category
- Euromoney/Legal Media Group's 2014 Expert Guide – Women in Business Law as a leading advisor
- Winner, 2014 DealMakers Country Awards
- New Zealand Transfer Pricing Lawyer of the Year in Lawyer Monthly's 2013 Legal Awards edition
- Legal Media Group's 2013 edition of Asialaw Leading Lawyers as a leading adviser in transfer pricing;
- Leading Advisor 100 2013 edition's leading adviser in New Zealand
She is a regular presenter at transfer pricing conferences and has contributed to many Deloitte transfer pricing publications.