Elliot represents a number of Fortune 500 companies and other MNCs on China IP litigation including trademark litigation and actions against unfair competition. His client briefs include developing IP strategies for: one of Europe's largest VC funds and numerous invested companies of that fund, for Europe's leading quantum computing company, for a global OLED and display technology company, as well as for global automotive technology companies, engineering and manufacturing conglomerates, as well as some of Europe's best-known FCMG and luxury brands.
Elliot is a Senior Partner at Clyde & Co and the Head of Clyde & Co's China Intellectual Property Group. Elliot has practised intellectual property (IP) law on several Continents since 1995 – first in Australia, then Europe, and since 2005 in China. From Clyde & Co's China offices Elliot now advises international clients on contentious and non-contentious IP matters, with a focus on strategic protection, commercialisation, as well as enforcement of trademarks and trade-dress, patents, copyright as well as trade secrets. He advises on strategies for optimizing IP portfolios across the Asia Pacific region, as well as cross-border trade mark, patent and copyright disputes.
Elliot is a native speaker of a number of European languages including German, Serbian, Hungarian and Croatian. He is also fluent in English. His Mandarin remains a "work in progress". Elliot is a Solicitor (England & Wales), an Attorney-at-Law (NY), a Barrister & Solicitor (Vic), and a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Hong Kong), holding Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Economics degrees from Murdoch University, a Bachelor of Laws degree from Monash University; Elliot also read for the Bachelor of Civil Law post-graduate degree at St. Catherine's College, Oxford.
Elliot's recent briefs include:
- Devising trade mark and design portfolio optimisation strategies including conducting gap-analyses, defensive filing strategies for a global jewellery brand.
- Recovering crucial trademarks before China's Supreme People's Court for one of Europe's leading clothing brands.
- Devising and implementing a complex anti-trade mark piracy strategy involving defending against bad-faith infringement proceedings, rebuffing enforcement at trade fairs, trade mark recovery litigation as well as structuring defensive measures to retain the client's "channel to market" for leading European electronics and sensors' company.
- Defending client's Chinese distribution network against bad-faith trade mark infringement litigation and preparing and launching counter-measures against bad-faith registrant for a Global musical instruments brand.
- Developing and implementing China "safe-harbours" for European OEM manufacturers.
- Building and executing numerous China on-line and off-line brand protection and trade mark enforcement programmes for various European consumer brands.