Ms Reiko Yoshida is an attorney (Bengoshi) admitted in Japan and the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and a partner in Atsumi & Sakai; she has advised on ship financings for some twenty years, representing Japanese and non-Japanese shipping owners, shipping operators, governmental and private financial institutions, leading complicated multi-jurisdiction shipping finance transactions and advising on the financing of high value vessels such as LNG carriers; she also advises on corporate and maritime matters under the laws of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, domestic and international M&A, reorganizations of groups of companies and successions of business of companies engaging in shipping business.
Her recent transactions include:
- advising on M&A and succession of business of major Japanese shipowners with values of USD 150,000,000;
- advising a major Japanese shipping operator leading a consortium of major Japanese shipping operators and a local government-related shipping operator on the financing and/or transfer of shares in respect of three LNG ships, with values of USD120,000,000-190,000,000;
- advising a senior lender in program debt consisting of ECA facilities, senior bank facilities, senior bonds, subordinated bank facilities and subordinated bonds, to a wholly owned subsidiary of a middle east government-related gas transportation operator through 25 separate and cross collateralized SPCs incorporated in the Marshall Islands, with values of USD 5,700,000,000;
- advising a major Japanese shipping operator on the acquisition of a company engaged in an LNG project, with a value of USD500,000,000;
- advising Japanese financial institutions on the financings of numerous LNG ships, with values of USD160,000,000-200,000,000;
- advising Japanese governmental and financial institutions on the financings of a number of 14,000-20,000 TEU container vessels, with values of USD70,000,000-200,000,000;
- advising a Japanese financial institution as lender to Luxemburg trust as fiduciary owner of the rights as lender in a bilateral loan transaction in respect of three MR Tankers and a VLGCA to four SPCs owned by group companies of European multiple shipowners with value of approximately USD 77,000,000;
- advising Japanese and non-Japanese financial institutions, shipping operators and shipowners on the financing of some 60 vessels of various types per year with values of USD30,000,000-180,000,000; and
- advising a major Japanese bank on a USD117,000,000 financing for construction of a dockyard by a Japan-China JV company, and registration of foreign debts with the State Administration of Foreign Exchange of China (SAFE).
Ms Yoshida is a visiting researcher at the Waseda University Institute of Maritime Law and a co-founder and auditor of Women's International Shipping and Trading Association (WISTA) Japan.