Practice areas/industry focus
Insurance & Reinsurance; Banking & Finance; Regulatory; Corporate/ M&A; Cross-border Transactions.
Koji graduated from Kyoto University and Northwestern University School of Law. He worked as a visiting attorney at Barack Ferrazano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP, Chicago/USA (Aug. 2012 to Sep. 2012) and a foreign lawyer at Rodyk & Davidson LLP, Singapore (Nov. 2012 to Oct. 2013). He was admitted as Attorney at Law in Japan and New York.
Koji was on secondment at Supervisory Coordination Division, Supervisory Bureau, Financial Services Agency, Japan Government as a fixed-term government official (Jan. 2014 to Dec. 2015).
Koji's main areas of practice encompass broad range of corporate commercial transactions, corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions and general corporation works. In addition, he has advised on various financial institutions including insurance companies in all aspects of their operations, with a focus on financial regulatory matters. Especially, with his experience worked at the Financial Services Agency, Japanese Government, he has been working on compliance issues of financial institutions including AML/CFT, countermeasures against Anti-Social Forces, personal data protections. He has also worked for clients in insurance related litigations and dispute resolutions.
- "The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Insurance & Reinsurance 2017 (6th Edition) (Japan Chapter)" (2017; co-author, Global Legal Group Ltd.)
- "Practical Methods for Insurance Compliance" (2017; co-author, Keizai-Hourei)
- "Countermeasures in Financial Institutions against Anti-Social Forces" (2015; Jurist)
- "Q&A: Practice of Trust" (2010; co-author, Seirin Shoin)
- "Enhancement of AML/CFT System based on Risk-based Approach" (2017, presented by FN Communications)
- "Risk Management System to be Established" (2016, presented by Nikkei Media Marketing)
- "FinTech Compliance" (2016, presented by Chuo Sogo Law Office)
- Northwestern University School of Law, LL.M. with honors
- Kyoto University, Faculty of Law