Steve Best is chair of Brown Rudnick's white-collar defence and government investigations group. An accomplished trial lawyer, Steve was lead counsel in the successful defense of Mark Cuban against SEC charges of insider trading. He is also presently counsel to the Special Claims Committee of the Financial Oversight Board of Puerto Rico in reviewing the viability of claims against third parties.
Steve advises clients on all aspects on a variety of regulatory defense matters as well as representing public and private clients alike through complex internal investigations. He is nationally known for his experience in US Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance strategies, grand jury and independent counsel investigations, parallel proceedings, civil litigation, and trial practice before federal and state tribunals.
His current representations include:
- The Special Claims Committee of the Financial Oversight Board of Puerto Rico;
- Numerous Fortune 100 companies in global corruption reviews;
- An individual in a $250mm healthcare fraud investigation by three federal districts;
- The former chief diesel engineer of Audi in a DOJ review;
- An individual in a DOJ and SEC probe regarding securities fraud;
- An individual indicted in USDC-NDIL for insider trading presently set to go to trial April, 2019;
- An former Under-Armor employee in a SEC regulatory probe;
- An individual in a securities fraud investigation by the United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California;
- A Denver-based fund in a securities fraud lawsuit;
- The Dallas Mavericks Professional basketball team in a workplace misconduct review;
- A television new-station in an arbitration regarding the for-cause firing of a news anchor for workplace misconduct;
- Prior to his work in private practice, Steve served as an assistant United States attorney in Washington, DC and an assistant Commonwealth's attorney in Fairfax, Virginia.
- He has been lead chair on approximately two hundred jury trials and hundreds of bench trials.
Steve has received numerous awards and recognition for his work. The National Law Journal named Steve a trailblazer in the practice of White Collar Crime. He has been named one of the areas top white collar lawyers for a successive seven years. He was named one of America's top 100 criminal defense attorneys. He has been named one of the best lawyers in America for a successive six years. He is rated in Chambers, USA for White Collar crime and Government Investigations. He was named one of the 500 leading lawyers in the US by law-dragon. He was also named one of America's top honored professionals by the American Registry. He is listed in Who's Who Legal for a successive five years. Finally, he has been AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell for a successive ten years.