Sheldon exclusively practises intellectual property (IP) and technology law. He has been certified by The Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Intellectual Property (Patent, Trade-mark and Copyright) Law. He is also a registered patent and trade-mark agent in Canada.
Sheldon's practice includes the clearance, prosecution, acquisition, enforcement and exploitation of patents, trade-marks, copyright, industrial designs and other forms of IP. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to counselling on IP, technology, electronic commerce and social media.
Sheldon's primary focus is licensing and other transactions involving technology, including life sciences and information technology, and other IP rights, including in the sports and entertainment industries.
Sheldon regularly advises on IP matters affecting every industry sector and represents clients in all technology sectors.
Awards & Recognition
Sheldon has been recognized as a leader in his fields by numerous Canadian and international publications, in most cases continuously since inception of the ranking, including the following:
- The American Lawyer/Martindale-Hubbell: Canada's Top Rated Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law and Technology Law) and Best Lawyers' 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" for Intellectual Property Law in Toronto
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Intellectual Property, Technology Transactions, Computer & IT Law and Biotechnology)
- Chambers Canada (Life Sciences, Patents and Trademarks)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Intellectual Property)
- IAM Licensing 250: The World's Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners
- The Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property)
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers (Information Technology)
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Managing Intellectual Property's World's Leading Copyright Experts (he has been recognized as "the foremost copyright expert in Canada")
- Managing Intellectual Property's World's Leading Patent Experts
- Managing Intellectual Property's World's Leading Trade Mark Experts
- Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences (Transactional)
- Who's Who Legal: Patents and Patent Agents (He has been recognized as "the most frequently named Canadian patent lawyer")
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Trademarks
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks (he has been ranked among the top 10 trade-mark lawyers in the world on several occasions)
- World Intellectual Property Leader (Patents, Tech/Electronics, Trademarks)