Antonio A Weffer is a tax principal in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group and the head of the transfer pricing practice in Luxembourg, which has won the International Tax Review's 'Luxembourg Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year' award fifth years in a row, between 2016 and 2020. Antonio is recognized as a highly regarded practitioner in the World Transfer Pricing 2021 Guide and named as Leading Individual by Legal 500 EMEA in 2021 for the second consecutive year.
Recognized as a global leader in the field of transfer pricing, Antonio has more than 20 years of international tax experience, dealing with complex financial and non-financial multinational enterprises' cross-border transactions, reorganizations and M&A in numerous industries. Within Baker McKenzie, he focuses his practice on transfer pricing and valuation documentation, benchmarks, and other economic compliance services for the worldwide business community. Antonio's expertise has also strengthened the global practice of Baker McKenzie's vast network dedicated to transfer pricing, regarded as one of the highest rated and renowned law firms in the world.
Among his representative cases are:
- Advised the world's largest infrastructure asset manager, with growing infrastructure and social infrastructure portfolio of more than USD 129 billion under management, on the restructuring of the financing/capital structure of one of its major fund structures with investments in multiple European countries and total commitments of GBP 2.7 billion.
- Advised a unique highly renowned industrial designer looking for integrated transfer pricing solution to align the highly complex, competitive and continuously evolving value chain model of the industrial designing industry.
- Assisted the Luxembourg management company of an international asset management group licensed under the UCITS regulation, in the context of the tax audit of its intra-group transactions, concluded with related companies located in Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France and Austria.
- Assisted a New York-based distressed-focused hedge fund investment adviser in testing the arm's length nature of a total interest expense in the context of a multifactorial debt instrument, through which investments were mainly made in Western Europe.
- Assisted a leading European financial services firm, specialised in equity brokerage, equity capital markets and asset management, in the restructuring process of their asset management division, designing a new business model and functional structure for the entities involved.
Antonio is an active member of several international tax associations, such as the IBFD and the Luxembourg branch of the IFA. He is a regular contributor on international tax issues through articles, lectures in International Tax Programs and as a speaker at worldwide seminars and conferences on international tax. Notably he was the IFA reporter on subject 2 during the 2017 International Annual Congress.
Antonio has obtained a LLM in international taxation, a MBA and a Master's degree in tax law and public finance.