Stephan Schnorberger works for international businesses to
- facilitate cross-border activity in today's tax environment, and
- advocate and defend the rule of law in transfer price controversies.
Areas of particular expertise of Stephan are transfer pricing and business restructuring, supply chain modeling and tax planning, intangible valuations, high value audit defenses and complex tax litigation. Stephan also acts as independent court expert in transfer price matters.
In addition, he supports businesses by economic analysis and advocacy in competition matters, such as business combinations, cartel damages cases, and questions of abuse of market power.
For numerous years Stephan has been recognized in the Euromoney Expert Guide survey among "The Best of the Best" Global Tax Advisors and Global Transfer Pricing Advisors.
Among his representative cases are:
- successful deflection of a multilateral tax audit by litigation;
- representing a global business in a bilateral tax audit on transfer prices;
- transfer price APAs with various countries including Switzerland;
- litigation against taxation of a transfer of functions;
- complex and high value transfer price audits;
- litigation against adjustment of IP valuation;
- reviews of IP structures from a BEPS perspective;
- tax litigations in transfer pricing matters;
- strategic reviews of business models to optimise customs and transfer pricing;
- tax planning, transfer pricing, and valuations for the outbound transfer of intellectual property;
- tax planning and implementation of an Irish principal structure for a German multinational;
- the valuation of compensation payments on pan-European restructuring of manufacturing and sales; and
- competent authority procedures within Europe and with the U.S.
Stephan regularly writes articles and speaks at tax conferences and academic events.
Stephan co-heads the European and heads the German transfer pricing practice, which, in 2010 and 2012, won the prestigious 'German Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year' award from the International Tax Review.
As a certified tax advisor, Stephan is admitted to the German Tax Bar.
He holds a German doctoral and a master's degree in business administration as well as a US master's degree in economics.