Hector Reyes is an Attorney, a Certified Public Accountant and a partner in the Firm's Tax Practice Group in Mexico City. He has more than 30 years of experience advising multinational and local companies on tax planning, M&A transactions and corporate taxes, including tax compliance issues. Hector sits at the Firm's Tax Committee for Latin America as liaison for the Global Tax Planning and Transactions Sub-Practice Group and has been the head of the tax group in Mexico.
Hector has extensive experience in international tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, permanent establishment issues, cross-border transactions, tax audits, intercompany pricing, taxation of non-resident entities and individuals, corporate taxes, and indirect taxes such as VAT. He addresses client concerns related to compliance with tax obligations and regularly handles due diligence work in corporate acquisitions. Hector also leads a group of tax professionals who conduct detailed financial analysis and required tax projections as part of corporate restructuring and planning.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a large multinational company in structuring its Mexico operations to capture new oil and gas opportunities; advised on other issues related to the tax regime for private companies in the E&P business.
- Represented automotive clients implementing maquiladora structures for manufacturing operations in Mexico.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the tax implications of its M&A and pre-disposition transactions in Mexico.
- Represented various industry clients in tax audits and litigation as well as leniency requests from authorities; assisted in determining omitted contributions in the audit and providing input on tax matters in corresponding litigation.
- Designed and implemented strategies aimed at recovering VAT in favor of clients.
- Advised real estate companies on establishing private and public trusts to finance projects.
- Advised companies on the design and implementation of procedures in compliance with tax obligations and in establishing appropriate risk management policies.