Chie Kasahara leads the IP, TMT and Life Sciences teams at Atsumi & Sakai, and advises many leading non-Japanese and Japanese corporations on protecting their intellectual property and rights in a broad range of businesses, including technology, media and retail. Her practice is focused on Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Entertainment, Information Technology, Life Science, Cross-Border Commercial Transactions and Corporate Law.
Her recent transactions include advising:
- major telecommunications carriers on telecommunication business and IT issues;
- a major international social networking service provider on various aspects of its business in Japan, including data protection and privacy issues;
- a leading networking service provider on data search and data collection issues, including regulatory issues on deep packet inspection;
- the Japanese subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical production company on trademark disputes and brand protection;
- Japanese and non-Japanese advertising agencies on advertising agreements, disputes, etc.;
- software development and distribution companies on software licensing;
- major television production companies and advertising agencies on the legal and regulatory requirements for TV production and advertising;
- a leading international software developer in copyright infringement (including claiming compensation from infringers);
- Japanese and non-Japanese pharmaceutical companies on data protection and privacy issues; and
- a major computer company in relation to data protection in Japan.
Chie is a managing director of the Entertainment Lawyers Network, an active member of the IP Lawyers' Network Japan, the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA) and the Corporate Law Study Group of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association.
She has also authored many commentaries on IP, Data Protection, Corporate Law, and Commercial Law issues. Her publication includes:
- "Publication of clinical trial information and the disclosure of conflict of interests in research in five countries – National laws and regulations in UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, and the US –," Journal of Clinical Therapeutics & Medicines No.34 No.6, published in Japanese (2018) [Co-author]
- Getting the Deal Through – Telecoms and Media 2018, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd. (2018)
- Getting the Deal Through – Advertising and Marketing 2018, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd. (2018)
- The Intellectual Property Review – Seventh Edition, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd (2018) [Co-author]
- Q&As about Entertainment Law: Rights, Contracts, Troubleshooting, Related Laws and Overseas Transactions, Civil Law Institute (2017, 2019) [Co-author]