Vaishali Mittal is a Litigation Partner and Strategist at Anand and Anand.
Designated the "leading light" in India for SEPs, Ms Mittal has to her credit India's first post-trial SEP judgement. She is described as an "engine of Anand and Anand's patent practice, an outstanding advocate and deal negotiator" by the IAM 300.
Ms Mittal has 17 plus years' experience in litigation, prosecution, drafting and advisory to various Fortune 500 companies and big-ticket clients worldwide on disputes concerning patents, trademarks, copyright infringement and passing off etc.
Outside of courts, she combines her knowledge of law and ingenuity of a writer to pen articles for renowned publications like GTDT, MIP etc. She is also the creative mind behind 'IPONOMICS', a picturesque coffee table book co-authored by her compiling legendary IP matters; 'Origami', an in-house knowledge manual on Best Practices and Procedures of IP practice in India. She also conceptualized and created 'IP Thinker' a digital newspaper to celebrate World IP Day, 2020.
Highlights of her path-breaking work
- Represented Koninklijke Philips NV in two patent disputes, Philips v KK Bansal and Philips v Rakesh Bansal, securing the first final decision in SEP litigation in India
- landmark judgment on aggravated damages being the highest ever quantum in a copyright, trademark and design infringement case (Philips vs Amazestores)
- Represented Vifor Pharma International (Galenica Group) in Vifor v High Court of Delhi in a writ petition resulting in, to the relief of many IP owners, a stay on transfer of at least 20,000 IP lawsuits (valued under R10 million) from the High Court to subordinate courts in wake of the Commercial Courts Act 2015
- Represented Nokia in various pre-suit mediation claims concerning SEP infringement
- Secured an interim injunction for Astra Zeneca in a patent infringement suit against pharma majors Emcure and MSN Laboratories
- Secured relief for patent holders from strict liability under the disclosure regime of Section 8 of the Patents Act in a landmark judgement in Maj Sukesh Behl v Philips
- India's first judgment declaring colour-combination (green & yellow) a well-known trademark;
- Landmark judgement on trans-border reputation
- Features in the IAM 300 Strategy list 2019 & 2020
- Features in the IAM Patent 1000 list 2019 & 2020
- Recognized amongst the "Super 50 Lawyers in India" by Asian Legal Business Law Journal 2020;
- Recognised among the "Top 15 Dispute Lawyers in India" across all verticals by Asian Business Law Journal 2019
- Star Women in Law Award, Legal Era Woman in Law Awards 2019
- Milestone Case for SEP Judgment of the Year at Legal Era Awards 2019
- Legal Era Patent Litigation Firm for first SEP Judgment of the Year 2019 award
- 40 under 40 – Rising Star award, Legal Era Awards 2017