Richard Slowinski is a partner in Alston & Bird's Federal & International Tax Group. For more than 25 years, he has advised clients on tax matters, with a focus on transfer pricing. Richard's international clients span multiple industries and trust him to advise on avoiding double taxation, structuring operations in low-tax jurisdictions, and securing IRS and foreign tax authority approval on transfer pricing methodologies carefully tailored to their businesses. He is skilled in dispute resolution, including examination, appeals, advance pricing agreements (APAs), competent authority, and litigation. Richard's clients rely on his sophisticated planning and transactional advice and country-by-country reporting experience.
Recent representative matters include:
- Securing one of the few US-Swiss APAs involving IP transfers and other complex transactions.
- Negotiating industry-leading Residual Profit Split Methods.
- Advising on tax issues in sophisticated pharmaceutical cross-border collaboration arrangements.
- Developing solutions to address transfer pricing, BEAT, and other tax issues for companies.
- Advising companies on federal tax issues related to the effect of the coronavirus pandemic on supply chains, including deductibility of expenses, shut-down issues, net operating losses, and the impact on APAs.
Cost-sharing arrangements, APAs, dispute resolution, MAPs/ADRs, international tax advisory
Automotive, consumer goods and services, electronics, financial services, pharma and life sciences
- United States Council for International Business (USCIB)
- American Bar Association, Transfer Pricing Subcommittee
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, board of visitors
- Bucknell University, Parents Association, board of directors
- Georgetown University (LL.M., 1993)
- The Catholic University of America (J.D., 1991)
- Bucknell University (B.A., 1987)